About Me

It's not about what you can do, it's about who you are. This is me, warts and all, just a guy trying to plot a course through life.

Monday 11 November 2013

Just Answer the Question!


Picture Credit: (CC) Randy Stewart, blog.stewtopia.com.

A recent ‘real world’ lesson for me was about clarity of communication.  I was listening to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on the way into work.  The article on at the time was discussing the up-coming discussions by members of the European Commission about reforms to the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP).

I didn’t catch the name of the UK politician being interviewed by Justin Webb but, true to form, the guy was incapable of answering a direct question.

Twice he was asked what would be the effect on British farmers if the CAP was just scrapped.  He was asked a second time because the first time round he completely ignored the question and spouted his own agenda.


Second time round I think he ignored the question and spouted his own agenda.  I say ‘…I think…’ because about 20 seconds into his answer I found myself shouting at the radio

JUST ANSWER THE FLIPPING QUESTION!

or words to that effect.  After that point all I heard was ‘blah, blah blah’.  (Yes, I do mean ‘at the top of my voice’ shouting and yes, I do have a life!)

The guy may have gone on to describe eloquently and at length the plight of the British farmer but I genuinely couldn’t say.  I had stopped listening, even though I hadn’t changed stations or switched off the radio.  I just waited for him to finish saying whatever it was he said and for the programme to move on to the next item before I re-engaged my ears and brain.

It was a powerful example of the importance of listening to what is being said to you and in responding appropriately.

Like politicians, we sales and marketing people have our own agendas.  Actually, it doesn’t matter what we have and what we want.  We have a very small window of opportunity in which to catch and keep the attention of our potential customers.  If we spend too much time on ‘me, me me’ we might just as well be reading out our weekly shopping list.


Customers don’t care about you; they care about themselves and their problems.

If you are a salesperson, listen to what your prospect is telling you; if you are a marketing person, strive to understand the needs of your market; if you are a politician, listen to your constituents or interviewer and, in every single case, RESPOND APPROPRIATELY.  After all, effective communication is a two-way process.

Do you have any examples of good or bad practise you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment